Resume - Prof. Dr. Hande Çağlayan
- PhD in Biological Sciences, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA, June 1982.
- M.S. in Life Sciences, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, July 1976.
- B.S. in Biology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey, June 1974.
Human Molecular Genetics
Molecular pathology of heritable bleeding disorders and development of methods for their molecular diagnosis. Identification of polymorphisms and mutations in FVIII and FIX genes in Turkish patients and the use of these genes as model systems to answer some of the basic concepts in molecular genetics.
Molecular Genetics of Idiopathic Generalized Epilepsy; Molecular pathology of BFNC and EPM1 Epilepsy subtypes in Turkish patients.
Establishment of national mutation databases for hemophilia A and hemophilia B.
- Professor, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Bogaziçi University, Bebek, Istanbul, Turkey, since February 1997
- Associate Professor, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Bogaziçi University, Bebek, Istanbul, Turkey, October 1990 - February 1997
- Visiting Scientist, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA, July and August 1994
- Visiting Scientist, Institute for Applied Tumor Virology, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany, January 1990 to August 1990
- Visiting Scientist, Institute for Human Genetics and Anthropology, Heidelberg University, Heidelberg, Germany, August 1989 to January 1990
- Assistant Professor, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Bogaziçi University, Bebek, Istanbul, Turkey, October 1987 - October 1990
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, College of Medicine and Medical Sciences, King Faisal University, Dammam, Saudi Arabia, September 1981 to July 1987
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Biological Sciences, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA, September 1976 - June 1979
- Assistant, Department of Life Sciences, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, September 1974 - 1976
- June 2003-Chairperson, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Bogaziçi University
- September 1992-September 1995 :Member of the Executive Committee, The Institute for Graduate Studies in Sciences and Engineering, Bogaziçi University.
- Undergraduate level:
- Molecular Biology
- Molecular Genetics
- Classical Genetics
- Techniques in Biological Research
- General Biology
- Introduction to Modern Biology
- Graduate level:
- Molecular Genetics
- Molecular Biology
- Special Topics:Variation in the Human Genome
- Gene Expression in Eukaryotes
PhD Theses supervised
- Investigations to Elucidate the Molecular Mechanisms Controlling Transcription of the Factor VIII and von Willebrand Genes.
Ergül Berber, June 2002
- The Origins and Structure of Y-Chromosome Variation in the Turkish Population.
Hamdi Jarjanazi, October 1999.
- Molecular Analysis of the Factor IX Gene in the Turkish Population.
?É?ì. Venüs Onay, October 1999.
- Molecular Pathology and Management of Hemophilia A in the Turkish Families.
A. Anil Timur, April 1999.
- Molecular Analyses of Germline Methylation Patterns and of the Common Intron 22 Inversion Mutation in the Factor VIII Gene.
Osman El-Maarri, November 1998.
- Molecular Diagnosis of Two Heritable Bleeding Disorders: Hemophilia A and Hemophilia B.
Yesim Gökmen, June 1993.
MSc Theses supervised
- Identification of a Point Mutation in the Potassium Channel Gene (KCNQ2) Resulting in Benign Familial Neonatal Convulsions (BFNC) in a Turkish Family.
Özlem Yalçin, Haziran 2003
- Search for a Transcription Factor Binding Motif Using Information Theory.
M. Vefa Karatay, September 1999.
- Factor V Leiden Mutation Associated with Activated Protein C (APC) Resistance.
Ergül Berber, June 1997.
- Analysis of the (CA)n Dinucleotide Repeat Polymorphism at Intron 13 of the Factor IX Gene.
Hamdi Jarjanazi, June 1995.
- Screening for Point Mutations in the Factor IX Gene by Dideoxy Finger Printing.
Venüs Ötker, January 1995.
- Screening for Point Mutations in the Factor VIII Gene by Denaturing Gradient Gel Electrophoresis.
Anil Aksu, January 1994.
- Çaglayan S.H. (1982) Hormonal control of the synthesis and uptake of the storage proteins in the fat body of Manduca sexta, PhD thesis, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA.
- Ilbeyli (Çaglayan) S. H. (1976) Isolation and purification of the initiator t-RNA from chicken liver cytoplasm, M.S. thesis, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Ilbeyli (Çaglayan) S. H. (1974) Transduction of antibiotic resistance factors in E. coli K-12S by the bacteriophage P1, B.S. thesis, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey (in Turkish)
Birth place and date: Ankara, September 30, 1952
- Human Genome Organization (HUGO)
- International Society for Thrombosis and Haemostasis
- Turkish Society of Hematology
- Marmara Hemophilia Association
- Turkish League Against Epilepsy, Commission on Genetics
- Scholarships:Ford Foundation PhD Scholarship(1976-1978)
- Northwestern University PhD Scholarship(1978-1982)
- UNESCO Fellowship (February 1992)